In 1948, Tom and Doris Farmer built a Tudor-style English cottage on seven acres of farmland overlooking the main street of Ancaster. They named their estate Fieldcote after a family property in England of the same name. Tom was editor-in-chief of the Hamilton Spectator from 1966 to 1969 as well as an avid historian and community supporter.
From their participation in the Ancaster Township Historical Society he and his wife knew that a venue was needed in the village as a focal point for the expression of Ancaster’s Heritage. After Tom’s death in 1976, Doris arranged in her will to bequeath Fieldcote and its property to Ancaster through the Conservation Foundation of the Hamilton Region and the Hamilton Region Conservation Authority.
Fieldcote today is a cultural heritage center with an emphasis on the collection, preservation and exhibition of local history, the promotion of fine arts and the celebration of natural heritage through beautiful landscaped gardens and walking trails.