77 King Street West, Stoney Creek
It was here, on June 6, 1813, that the Battle of Stoney Creek took place during the War of 1812.
In 1812 the United States declared war on Britain, and invaded Upper Canada from the Niagara Peninsula. An American force crossed the Niagara River and captured Fort George (Niagara-on-the-Lake) in May 1813. With about 3500 troops, they moved on in pursuit of the British who had retreated to Burlington Heights (where Dundurn Castle now stands).
The American troops reached Stoney Creek on June 5, 1813 and settled down for the night. The Gage House was used as headquarters by the two American Generals, Winder and Chandler. At Stoney Creek, a surprise night attack was made possible through the daring assistance of Billy Green, a local 19-year-old civilian. Billy Green went to Burlington Heights to warn the British that the Americans were in Stoney Creek. The British decided on a night attack and Billy acted as a scout, since he was a very experienced woodsman who knew the area well.
About 700 regulars of the 8th and 49th Regiments of Foot, under Lieutenant – Colonel John Harvey, stopped the American advance and allowed the British to re-establish their position in Niagara.
During the 40-minute battle hundreds of soldiers died and the British had captured the two American Generals and some field artillery. The Americans retreated to Forty Mile Creek (Grimsby) and then to Fort George. The Americans never advanced so far into the Niagara Peninsula again.